Saturday, 31 January 2015

Finished make :: Crochet tea cosy

colourful crochet tea cosy ||

So my aim during my 'craft of the month' is to learn new things related to that craft. I'd never made a tea cosy before starting this project so I was learning as I went with this make.

After being given a plain white teapot for Christmas I decided to liven up a bit, I had no particular pattern or design planned out before I started - I just started stitching and picked the colours and stitches as I went..

I used the same colour palette as the crochet circles mat but isn't interesting how omitting the cream gives a totally different effect?

Anyway here's how I made it ...

First of all I measured the circumference of the teapot around it's bottom. I then created a crochet chain to that length. I found that was a bit too stretchy so reduced the length by a few chains. My experience with making a coffee pot cosy shows that the cosy will stretch over time and I didn't want it starting off too baggy.  I ended up working with 80 stitches all the way up to the lid as my teapot has straight sides (If your teapot has curved sides - this tutorial explains how you would approach fitting to the curves.)

After working a couple of rows of basic stitches I then started working in more fancy stitches mixing and matching these with basic stitches.

I kept measuring my work against the teapot until the point where the bottom of the handle and spout joined the teapot. At these points I put my work round the teapot and used stitch markers to mark the width of these. Again I took a few stitches off these measurements to give a snug fit.
For the next few rows I worked the cosy in two parts (one for each side). I kept measuring against the teapot until I reached the join between the top of the spout and the pot. At this point I started working in one continuous pieces (still leaving the gap for the handle.
When the piece reached the top of the handle I chained the correct number of stitches to bring the work back to 80 and started working in full rounds again.

The next stage was in reaching the top of the pot. At this point you have to start decreasing the number of stitches in the rounds you are working. I divided 80 by 10 and therefore the repeat I worked was 8 stitches then stitching 2 together in repeat. On the next round I worked 7 stitches then stitching 2 together in repeat. I continued this until I had a small circle that fitted snugly round the lid handle.

I finished off round the spout, handle and lid holes with stitches to cover the end of the rows.

I love the colours - they really brighten up a plain white teapot and I'm really proud that designed this myself especially as I learned about the construction as I went had to work out how to fit the different stitch patterns in to keep the stitch count at 80 all the way up.

No comments:

Post a Comment